Safe IV Sedation (SIS) - January 9th -14th, 2024
SIS — Simple, Safe, Predictable and Profitable Technique. IV Sedation Certification in Six Days. Happy Patients Who Refer.
Dr. John Wayland, the course director and founder of Bay Area IV Wisdom, has a wealth of experience in IV sedation. Having been trained by anesthesia icon Dr. Stanley Malamed in 1982, Dr. Wayland received his IV sedation certification in 1983. Dr. Malamed is also the author of the acclaimed book “SEDATION: A Guide to Patient Management.”
With over 40+ years of experience as a Dental Board of California office sedation evaluator, Dr. Wayland has used IV sedation for thousands of patients undergoing full bony impacted third molar removal. These patients typically have little or no memory of the procedure.
Why Bay Area IV Wisdom?
Safe Moderate Sedation
Easing Fears for Patients Happy Patients Will Refer
Safe Moderate Sedation
- University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, Doctor of Dental Surgery, 1981
- University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, Bachelor of Science in Dentistry, 1981
- San Diego State University, San Diego, California, Postgraduate study, Biology, 1975-1977
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, Bachelor of Science, Psychology, 1968
|8am-12pm||Wayland Lecture||Lenhart Lecture||Fagin Lecture||Fagin ACLS Certification||Patient Sedation 1:1 patient faculty||Patient Sedation 1:1 patient faculty|
|12pm-1pm||Lunch Provided||Lunch Provided||Lunch Provided||Lunch Provided||Lunch Provided||Lunch Provided|
|1pm-5pm||Wayland Lecture||Lenhart Lecture||Breakout Session ACLS, Drug Review, Venipuncture Practice||Breakout Session ACLS, Drug Review, Venipuncture Practice||Patient Sedation 1:1 patient faculty||Patient Sedation 1:1 patient faculty|
|5pm-7pm||Saturday Wayland Lecture Provided||Wayland Lecture||Lenhart Lecture||Centore Zoom Meeting||Wayland Office Evaluation Preparation, IV Sedation Review, Additional time for patients (if needed)||Additional time for patients (if needed)|
What People Say
John Wayland DDS, FAGD, MaCSD
Betty Yee Course Coordinator
Linda Centore RN, PhD
Tim Fagin CPR/ACLS/ECG
Tom Lenhart DMD, Anesthesiologist
Vincent Vella DDS, DABOI
Matthew Diercks DDS
COURSE DATES 2024
January 9th - 14th
Our IV sedation course begins Tuesday and ends Sunday at 5 p.m. Safe IV sedation follows the 2016 American Dental Association guidelines for teaching pain control and sedation to dentists and dental students. The course will cover the objectives and content recommended by the ADA and the California Dental Board.
- List and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of moderate sedation.
- Discuss the prevention, recognition and management of complications associated with moderate sedation.
- Administer moderate sedation to 20 patients in a clinical setting in a safe and effective manner.
- Discuss the abuse potential, occupational hazards and other untoward effects of the agents utilized to achieve moderate sedation.
- Describe and demonstrate the technique of intravenous access, intramuscular injection and other parenteral techniques.
- Discuss the pharmacology of the drug(s) selected for administration.
- Discuss the precautions, indications, contraindications and adverse reactions associated with the drug(s) selected.
- Administer the selected drug(s) to 20 dental patients in a clinical setting in a safe and effective manner.
- List the complications associated with techniques of moderate sedation.
- Describe a protocol for management of emergencies in the dental office and list and discuss the emergency drugs and equipment required for the prevention and management of emergency situations.
- Discuss principles of advanced cardiac life support or an appropriate dental sedation/ anesthesia emergency course.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage emergency situations.
- Demonstrate the ability to diagnose and treat emergencies related to the next deeper level of anesthesia than intended.